Te Pae Tawhiti | Our evaluation framework
Te Werohau is an evaluation framework driven by kaupapa Māori and Māori voices.
Te Pae Tawhiti is the name of our evaluation framework here at Nōku te Ao.
The Evaluation Framework (‘the framework’) is the first step in the evaluation, and comprises the design of Te Pae Tawhiti: the collective vision of the horizon for Nōku Te Ao. In building Te Pae Tawhiti, we explore what ‘success’ and ‘quality’ look like for the programme across its various branches, in detailing the ultimate, aspirational realisation of the kaupapa from multiple perspectives. In this respect, it is fitting to refer to each of Nōku Te Ao’s functions as waka sailing toward the pae tawhiti, taking their own unique journeys to get there.
We are supported towards our evaluation goals with our partners Te Werohau, the Research and Evaluation unit of Te Whare Wānanga o Awanuiārangi. Their work both monitors and enhances the kaupapa of Nōku te Ao.
Our evaluation framework is designed by and through Māori experiences and driven by kaupapa Māori theory. The process recognises the Māori way of knowing and seeks positive outcomes for Māori and Pasifika whānau. The values which are embedded in this evaluation come from our Nōku te Ao strategy and include:
- Tino rangatiratanga: The right of Māori and non-Māori alike to self- determine their cultural, political, economic, and social aspirations.
- Taonga tuku iho: Validating cultural identity and aspirations, in the normalisation of reo, tikanga, and kawa, for Māori and non-Māori.
- Mātauranga Māori: Recognising the wisdom of Māori knowledge systems, and ways of knowing preferred by Māori.
- Whānau: Recognising that whānau are a driving force in our mahi, and nurturing a whānau-based culture in our way of working.
- Mana Tangata: Acknowledging the inherent strength and mana of everyone, and working in mana enhancing methods of practice. In addition to this, and based on input from kaupapa partners, we are also including the value of Lived Experience as a foundation to our work.